Saturday, March 29, 2008

Don't Smile 'til Christmas!


I have had teachers tell me that thank goodness, they don't follow the Christmas rule anymore but after some of my substitute days...hmmm....
Seriously though, most of my days are just fine with no problems at all. However; I hope I'm not alone in saying that classroom management is one of my biggest concerns. As a substitue teacher, I have used some of the preventative techniques that are discussed in Chapter 9.
I have:
clear expectations
anticipated negative behavior
approached the classroom in a positive manner
used nonverbal communication such as physical bearing, gestures, physical
proximity and withitness
So, my question is, why do these methods work on some days and not others? Taking into account factors such as age of class and such, I do think the time frame plays a part as well. In the days preceding Spring Break, my classes were unusually restless and even disruptive. I finally attributed it all to the anticipation of the upcoming vacation. I was preoccupied with Spring Break so of course the students were as well.
But looking at this chapter I realize other elements are missing from a substitute's classroom behavior portfolio. As a teacher, not a substitue we will have the additional pieces to the proactive puzzle. These pieces are curriculum, not just a one day assignment, motivation and development of the students for the long term and finally, authority. As a teacher we will have authority of a long term nature; ideally the expert and referent type of authority. As our quote tells us this week, "intelligence plus character that is the true goal of education." (Gloria Steinem) We WILL have the character and the tools needed to achieve appropriate behavior which WILL go hand in hand with our positive classroom community.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Oh Yeah! Spring Break definitely had a lot to do with it. Even veteran teachers see a mass misbehavioral hiccup right before all the holidays and breaks. We probably just need to remember to schedule in more opportunities for the kids to release steam on those days and accept that their concentration and effort is going to be a little off. Otherwise it sounds like you're doing all the right things. It's just the substitute teacher syndrome, just as you pointed out in your post-you are at a disadvantage without having all the 'puzzle pieces.' I hope you don't let it get you down.
I bet you're more appreciated than you realize.

kkamenik said...

It would be nice to know why some methods work some days and not on others...it's almost like the kids become immune to one method and its up to us to come up with a newer updated version!

stephanieb said...

Holidays are the worst. Concentration is thrown out the window. I have always found that coaxing with maybe if we get this chapter done we can have a party or watch a movie somewhat along those lines. IT hardly works but its worth a try rather than getting out of control. but i feel as if as a substitute you should be filled in on the puzzle pieces of how each teacher manages their classroom because just because they arent there all hell shouldnt break loose. But learning all these techniques are good for you so you can be prepared for when that does happen. I am very opptimiztic when it comes to kids.

KScott said...

I agree with Mark to a point; they do probably need oppotunities to "let off steam." Another aproach to consider, though, is to keep them more involved in the curriculum--in one way or another. For instance, I actually used to schedule a test on the last day before a break. (Yeah, I was one of "those" teachers.) Of course, I tried to make it a "fun" environment (e.g., they took their "Roaring Twenties" test in a "speakeasy", found stockings hanging on the board before Christmas---not sure if you could do that anymore--anyway, things like that.) I actually had some students tell me they were grateful--it kept them focused and helped keep their mind off counting the days down....

As to Kristin's comment--I do think kids become immune to "gimmick" discipline; I think an approach rooted deeply in your philosophy is more durable. Of course, there will always be "those" days.....