Sunday, March 9, 2008

learn by doing

Even though I have spent the last 18 years of my life sitting in a classroom watching other teachers teach, I still have no idea how to be an effective teacher myself. I think this shows much truth in Aristotle’s quote, “what we learn to do, we learn by doing.” I know I am capable of teaching, but will not be completely comfortable doing it until I have had some kind of experience.

I will be starting substitute teaching sometime this week and I am extremely nervous but I know that the only way of becoming more comfortable with my teaching abilities is through having experience and learning by doing. This will be a helpful learning experience for me because I will be able to work with all grade levels. I will learn how to take charge but also gain respect from the students.

I think learning by doing can create confidence in students that might not be gained if they didn't actually "do" something. If a student is confident in their abilities they will be more likely to continue using the skills they have learned.

Using “doing” to assess students not only will give the teacher a better idea of where students are, but it will allow students to become more comfortable with the materials and with their abilities. Being creative with the different types of assessments used would keep students interested instead of being bored with the same type of assessment over and over again.

1 comment:

KScott said...

Your proposition that "doing" increases a students' confidence in their abilities, and that "if a student is confident in his/her abilities, s/he will be more likely to continue using the skills s/he has learned" echoes Andrea's emphasis on life-long learning. It reflects her idea "that differentiating assesments is also important because students are experienceing different ways to capture the learning in which they are more likely to truly understand the material when it is evaluated in different ways," and also Bryan's belief that students truly learn when they can and do use what they have learned. There seems to be an emerging consensus regarding this "applied" aspect of "authentic assessment" (hence, the "authenticity" of the assessment.)