Sunday, March 9, 2008

Lesson Plan Using Technology

In a lesson on writing for my English Language class, grade 5, I would use and allow my students to use technology as a research tool. I would instruct them in regards to proper writing and sentence structure. I would group them in twos and give each group a topic to research. There would not be extensive research needed for this project, just enough for three to four paragraphs of writing.

I would require that they type their papers in Word and I would also require that they access spell check and grammar check. Finally, I would require that they print it out and turn it in for a grade.

Reservations I would have in regards to is having 5th graders surfing the web is the possibility of them happening upon an inappropriate website. With that being said, I believe that school computer networks offer the highest monitoring system available and I would have to rely on that to keep my students safe.

The challenges that would be involved with the use of technology within my writing lesson plan include assisting 10-12 groups of students during a class period. Also, there may end up to be too many computer-related questions from the students so that the lesson that is supposed to be learned is getting lost in the mix.

Things that I would take into consideration when creating a writing lesson around technology is again, not allowing the lesson to get lost in the mix of computer inquiries. Also, I would have to take into consideration the diversity of computer skills among my students. This is not the way I would teach this type of lesson all the time because handwriting skills should be enhanced with this age group.

No comments: